Tuesday, March 24, 2009

hardships of attending "university"

I never realized how fortunate I am simply being granted the opportunity to go to Quinnipiac University or any school, for that matter. Everyone in the United States is allowed to attend college even with a GED. Financial aid and federal grants allow even the poorest people to make a better life for themselves.
In the beginning of the 1950’s Polish, students wanted to go to what they called University, only because they didn’t want anything to do with the military. This surprised me because I always thought how lucky people were in other countries, where the government pays for their education. University did get the students out of having to commit themselves to the military but, I had no idea how many negative factors were also involved with a free education.
On the positive side of this free education is a much more fulfilled, and exciting life. It was a much better opportunity for these kids than the military. They could live in a different and more interesting place and have a good career after attending. This sounds much like our experience here.
Along with all the positives there are many downsides to getting chosen to attend school. There is an extensive application process. I don’t know that you’d even call it an application process at all, because the government basically digs up all the skeletons in your closet to see if you check out. I mean it is fair, after all. Since the government pays all tuition they make the rules. I’d say the negatives outweigh the positive.
Some of the regulations to get into University include “the principle of historical justice.” This meant that workers of the institution and polytechnics were given first priority to attend. The next people that were seen as priority were grouped in the “worker-peasant alliance.” No rich landowners children were given priority, just the middle class and what they called “paupers.” After the many classes of people that could get into the “university” there was the chance that the government would turn up some skeletons you hoped would never come up again. If the government finds out that you had lied about anything with your past you would be disqualified to attend. Last but not least, people who you consider friends could turn you in which would leave you expelled from the “university” as well.
The last part of the article that really made me upset is the fact that the students who were actually chosen to attend university were forced into certain fields of study. Where ever there were openings to help the government that’s what the students would learn. If I was forced into studying something I would go out of my mind. It makes me sad because I could never imagine throwing away what I am most passionate about.

2 comments:

  1. i was reading this article and it almost made me laugh. it interesting to think that students would turn in thier own friends. it seems to me that many here are more loyal to thier freinds than the school itself. i suppose i would turn in my friend if i found out he/she was a murderer but if it was just a case of family background i would care for our friendship more than that. i just guess that people then had a sense of national duty and pride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more Jenna, I think we in the United States need to be more appreciative to how lucky we are. Sometimes I find myself expecting that university around the world is exactly the same as it is here in America, this is clearly not the case. I think even though most of us are in debt, its a small price to pay for having the ability to choose our futures.

    ReplyDelete