Thursday, March 26, 2009

Education Comparison

Reading over the experiences of college students within communist Poland has certainly opened up my eyes. I realized the freedom that we Americans take for granted. When we are younger and asked to ponder our future there is a clear cut difference with polish students; we have a choice. In our democracy we are told we can become anything we want to become. There are no limits on our potential. It is disturbing to read that a simple freedom just did not exist for students in communist Poland. While reading through the packet I was able to spot certain similarities but of course the differences were shocking, and informative of the freedoms that are awarded to myself, and others in our country.
Like I mentioned before I had the freedom to choose what subject I wanted to study, and also where I wanted to school. A main denominator in choosing an American college is its price. When thinking about my own experience in choosing college money was a big issue. Quinnipiac is a very expensive college, and I was aware of the investment. However the communications program and the freedom to live on my own is what drew me to my school. Within the communist regime children there did not have the freedom to choose. They had the luxury to go to school for free but the debt created by not having the choice, and freedom does not make it worth it. In a way I pay for my educational freedom. It is difficult at times, but I would not have it any other way.
I recently was accepted to a study abroad program. Such programs enlighten students, and let them experience cultures that aren’t their own. When you study abroad you learn a lot about your own culture also. Particularly how your nation is received in other countries could be an interesting experience, possibly life changing. It is needless to say that having freedom is better than not having freedom at all. A major difference in communist Poland is not letting their students go abroad. Chances are if they ever went abroad they would never come back.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with what Jon is saying. It's an eye-opening article to read. It also put a lot of things in perspective for me and reminded me not to take things for granted. I was allowed to pick anywhere I wanted to go to school, and the subject I wanted to learn. Not only could I remain undecided in the Business school for almost two years, but I could also transfer within Quinnipiac to another college and another major. This ability to make decisions and never really be locked into just one road in life is something we should not take for granted. I also like how Jon compared the tuition bill here at Quinnipiac to the non-ability for these Polish students to make a choice. I would have to go with Jon on this one, that the ability to make a choice about my own future and that $100,000+ debt I will come out of school with outweighs the possibility of me maybe not choosing the major I want if I were a polish student.

    ReplyDelete