Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Comparing my Experience to the Experience of College Students in Communist Poland

After reading about the university experiences of young students in Communist Poland I realized how different my experience was to theirs. I was able to find some similarities; however, the American experience of today is not quite so drastic. What primarily struck me about this excerpt was the selection process for admission into the Polish Universities. Your admission depended almost entirely on your social category regardless of knowledge and skill. The author states, “Now they were told that the enrollment procedure at universities and polytechnics gave priority to the sons and daughters of workers, regardless of their actual knowledge or abilities. This was called the principle of historical justice” (116). Following the children of workers were the children of peasant farmers but not the children of richer farmers because they owned too many hectares of land which did not coincide with the values of Communism. A student’s whole family tree was examined before admission was granted to make sure candidates from incorrect origin were eliminated. In America, a student’s credentials such as GPA, SAT scores, national honors society, sports, community service, and club membership are all taken into consideration when deciding whether a student should be admitted to a university or not. A student gets to choose which universities to apply to and once accepted which university to go to. The ability to choose is not a luxury college students enjoyed in communist Poland. I do believe, however, that social classes still play a role in the college admission process today in America. Schools can be very costly and typically private schools cost more than public schools. Certain schools attract middle class and upper class students based on the high cost of tuition. It is not uncommon for students to receive financial aid but in the more expensive universities a large number of students have similar social backgrounds. Admissions representatives may not examine an applicant’s entire family tree but they do still have an agenda. On a supplement application I had to fill out during my senior fall I was asked how much my parents were willing to gift to the school and how much my grandparents were willing to gift to the school. Questions such as these on applications shows that financial status does play a role in the admissions process even if it is minimal.
Another part of this excerpt that caught my attention concerned libraries and textbooks. The author states, “The situation was further aggravated by the fact that libraries had been destroyed during the war, and the intentional isolation of communist countries from the rest of the world resulted in a lack of modern teaching materials and excluded academic circles from the normal international circulation of ideas” (128). I go to school in the age of globalization and to me it seems quite challenging to study a subject without the comprehensive amount of resources available to me. Relying on lectures and the few old text books that survived the war hinders the learning process especially since Poland was left out of academic circles throughout the rest of the world. New ideas and technologies were not available to them. In that sense there are no similarities between the experiences of the college students in Poland and my experience.

3 comments:

  1. Lauren, I really liked what you talked about in your post. What really struck me is when you talked about the supplemental application and how you were asked how much your parents and grandparents were willing to donate to the university in which you were apply.
    I cannot believe they asked you this! I would have been appauled. It angers me enough that Quinnipiac has the nerve to call my Mother who is on disability for a donation. Don't I pay enough money to this institution run?
    I would have skipped that part of the application and if I didn't get in I would say it was meant to be. Schools in the US need to start using our tuition costs for better learning tools instead of the Deans big headed salary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your inability to even fathom acheiving a higher education without an unlimited source of resources. In our present time, the information age, it is almost essential to have access to a wide array of information, not only in the educational context, but in the organizational context as well. It is almost a necessity for every student, school, and business to be connected to the internet. We need the internet to be able to access information to facilitate in completing the tasks given to us. Universities have completely taken advantage of this, asking students to accomplish a number of tasks, which would be completely impossible before the invention of the computer and internet. Also, we are required to buy a large number of, rather expensive, textbooks. Which without these, in quite a few cases, a student would not be able to complete course requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lauren, I agree with everything you said. I talked about the admissions process in my blog also. I think its crazy how getting into college in communist Poland is based so much on what your parents do. I found it interested how you mentioned that Universities in the US are also a little based on social status. I thought about that a little when I writing my blog. It is so true that, espcially in economic times like today that it is much harder for lower class families to financially support their children in college. Very interesting blod, I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete