Friday, April 10, 2009

Norwegian, Irish, French-Canadian and Dutch....got a bit of it all.

My mother’s side of the family is broken up into French-Canadians and Irish immigrants. My father’s side is more Scandinavian descent, namely Dutch and Norwegian. I know that my grandfather’s (on my mom’s side) parents were from Canada and immigrated down to settle in Adams, Massachusetts. Their family name is Vincelette. My grandmother’s (also on my mom’s side) family was from Ireland. I’m not sure which generation exactly were the immigrants directly from Ireland, but I do know that their family name was Turner. Going to my father’s parents, my grandmother’s maiden name was Anderson and I’m pretty sure her parents were from Norway. I’m not too sure which generation of my grandfather’s family came from the Netherlands with the last name Van Nostrand.

I think I would blend in with the people of Norway and the Netherlands because I am a blonde with blue eyes and exceptionally high-structured cheek bones, which my dad always tells me is my Norwegian roots showing through. My mom tells me that I tan like my grandfather and always have pretty dark skin so it’s my French-Canadian blood coming through. I don’t know how true that statement is, but we’ll go with it.

My grandmother’s, whose maiden name was Anderson, father’s original name was Isaacson. When he came over from Norway he thought the name was a bit too Scandinavian-sounding, so he changed it to Anderson.

In an article I found on FOXNews.com that was dated back in March of 2007, it talks about how President Bush wanted Congress to pass some kind of law, or approval of the 50,000-70,000 illegal Irish immigrants that are living in the United States at the time. I’m pretty torn about what to do in this situation, because we are all immigrants to this land, and to turn anyone away I feel is quite unfair. If my ancestors were torn away from this country, then I wouldn’t be here today. But then again there is only so many jobs that can be offered in our country. It’s a Catch-22.


http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,259144,00.html

1 comment:

  1. from watching the video in class, it seemed like many families were split up and some stayed and some were turned away because of illnesses. it seems like a miricle that both sides of my family made it through. plus there was a limitation on the # of immigrants allowed from one country per year. i also think about those who could not afford to buy a ticket for the trip to the US. many who could not in Ireland became the victems of the Potato Famine. i try to imagine my life not living in America, and i cant, soo much of its meaning and ideals makes up who i am. i am proud and glad that i can call America my home.

    ReplyDelete