Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My Family Histoy

My ancestry is made up of me being mainly Irish almost fully, and a small amount of English, Austrian, and French Canadian. On my mothers side I have Irish, Austrian and English. On my fathers side I have Irish, French Canadian and German. Like I stated before I am mainly Irish with a small percentage of the other four.
My mother’s family immigration story is one like many others. My great grandmothers father was a full-blooded Irish man lived in Ireland with his wife who was English and also Irish with their first child. He knows that to have a better life he had to come to America. He left his wife and child and went to catch the boat to New York. He was not able to get on the boat because it was full and they said that he was not allowed. But because he like many other immigrants knew that if he came to America he and his family would have a better life he “illegally” boarded that boat and he was on his way.
When he arrived in New York, he knew that it was going to be hard to get a job because of all the other immigrants. He came ahead to start a life so that he could eventually save enough money and send for his wife and child. So he decided that he would make his way out of the city to New Jersey. For many months he struggled, not many businesses were hiring Irish men and women. After a 6 month of working a small factory job, he picked up other small jobs like farming, and working in a factory putting together car parts etc. He was a hard worker and his employers recognized that. This opened many more doors for his; he now has manager positions open to him.
Before my great great great grandmother and he son came over my great great great grandfather made sure that he had a stable living area, and enough money for them to survive on. He worked for 3 years to have a place to live and to send for his wife and child. After his wife and child were with him, my great great great grandmother also started working small jobs to help. They later had eight more children, they stayed in New Jersey and to this day my mothers family still lives in New Jersey in the same areas.
Unfortunately I do not know that full historical version of my father’s side immigration but I know that on my father’s side they came from Canada, Ireland. I wish that I did know more about my father’s side. The only part of me that is French Canadian is truthfully my last name as my grandmother would say, the rest is all Irish. But I do know very well the story of my mother’s side.

No comments:

Post a Comment