Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Holocaust Experiences

During my spring break this year my cousin and I got the chance to visit the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. The museum was very moving and I was surprised by how much I learned, despite being a history major and having studied the topic for a while. One of the many things in the museum that surprised and angered me was how the Nazi’s took everything from their victems. In the museum are hundreds of suitcases, umbrellas, shoes, and other items that were taken from the Jews as they entered the concentration camps. One section contained the shoes that were taken from prisoners; they were different sizes and styles. Looking at these shoes I could not help myself think of the people who once wore them and the fate that befell them. It seemed that no one was safe from the Nazi’s rampage as men, women and children were treated with equal hatred and disdain by the Nazi’s. In the book, Maus by Art Spiegelman, these scenes are depicted based on Vladek Spiegelman, Art’s fathers, experiences at a concentration camp. There was one particular scene that shocked me where after everything is taken from the Jews, the Nazi’s shave off their hair in order to sell it and use it in wigs and bed stuffing. It seems as if the Nazi’s wanted to take everything from these people and degrade them at the same time. In the Holocaust Museum there was a section where real hair that was shaved off of prisoner’s heads during the holocaust is displayed. I remember standing there wondering how those prisoners must have been terrified not only for themselves but worried about their family and friends. I also thought and hoped that these people hopefully got to survive and live, but then reality hit me and I realized that many did not. Another part of the museum had photos of those who were taken and killed by the Nazi’s. Looking into their faces I realized how they were normal people like you and I, and not the evil beings the Nazi’s made the out to be. Even children were shown and I can not imagine the horrors they witnessed and experienced. I chose the scene in Maus because I feel like today many wish to forget the horrors experienced during the holocaust. However I feel like people need to remember and realize that these stories are not just stories but in fact were real events that occurred. People need to remember that these horrible events did occur and they can happen again if people are not aware of history and what can occur when racism and hatred exists.

2 comments:

  1. Like Colleen, I am also shocked at some of the things the Germans took from the Jewish people. Many things that were so precious to the Jews like pictures and letters were all taken from their houses and yet the Germans had no use for them. The Germans basically took anything and everything from the Jews with the purpose of ruining their lives completely. Sometimes when you talk about the Holocaust you almost forget that this genocide really did occur and people actually went through this torture. It is amazing that something like this actually happened in our world; I still will not get over how long it actually took before someone (the United States) put a stop to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky to have been there, I went there a while ago and remember it being very moving. I have since been to the Holocaust museum in Jerusalem and it is also quite an emotional place. I totally agree with you on the stealing part. Some Jews could have been rich and had many material possesions, but if they were strong enough to survive the war, they had to start their lives from scratch because their house was taken, along with all of their belongings and finances. It is kind of funny how this could have been a bittersweet feeling: finally being liberated but having nothing to your name, not even your hair.

    ReplyDelete