Thursday, January 29, 2009

Obama/FDR

This has been an interesting task. I found it difficult nonetheless trying to intertwine current history being made with American rhetoric. While dissecting both speeches I enjoyed both of them but admit that I like President Obama’s address more simply because I voted for him, and believe in the changes he thinks our nation needs. I don’t mean that FDR’s speech was not influential because it was. It held a certain amount of nostalgia. It reminds me that in order to know where our country is going we must know where we have been.
Without the clear difference in time, both Presidents struck very similar tones. They acknowledged the current state of the nation, freedom, but most importantly they discussed the necessity for change. They declare the importance of morality, and that in order to improve the world we must first improve ourselves. Fear can strike the lives of many, and nations must overcome that fear in order to prevail. Listening and rereading these speeches fortify my belief in our president, and simply wait patiently for our nation to get back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment